Cruise M1019 on the Braemar to Iberia
(Please scroll down to see my photographs and report)
||(Lost gardens of Heligan)
||Too rough to land!
||On your own transfer
||La Coruna, Spain
||Free shuttle into wet city
||La Rochelle, France
||City & Ile de Ré
||Off the ship at 7:30 am!
Adrian, Caroline, Len & me
Port barges in Oporto
Sumo wrestler in La Coruna
Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao
Guggenheim museum, Bilbao
St. Martin de Ré
Here is my cruise report...
This was a cruise that started badly but ended well.
It was too rough to land at Fowey in Cornwall,
the only new port on the itinerary for me.
So I missed out as a tour escort to the lost gardens of Heligan,
but I did get the gardens tour at La Coruna.
Then we were fog bound outside Oporto only getting in a couple of hours late.
I was escort to the "on your own" transfer into the city
and took the metro out to Le Corte Ingles department store.
In Bilbao I took the free shuttle into a wet city
and finally got to the Cathedral in the old quarter.
I was a tour escort in La Rochelle which included the beautiful and sunny Ile de Ré.
The Cruise Director wrote:
"Martin was great, volunteered to lead Dance Classes and additional Line Dancing sessions,
different compared with the Cruise Staff sessions.
Steady and reliable throughout and always willing to do more."
For the record ...
- Ship: Braemar.
- Captain: Tom Hansen.
- Food: The best in the fleet!
- Tours: Three out of four ports.
- Weather: Unsettled but lovely in La Rochelle.
- Sailaways: Two.
- Tea dance: One.
- Masonics: Hosted by Len Pye.
- Service clubs: Hosted by me, but no-one turned up!
- Dinner host: No.
- Line dancing: Shared with Sarah the hostess.
- Sequence dancing: Little.
- Ballroom dancing: Lots.
- Western night: Line dancing led by Sarah and me.
- Tropical night: No.
- British (Red, White & Blue) night: Yes.
- Singles party: Yes.
- Singles lunch: No.
- Formal nights: Two - Cream with red and Black tie.
- Cocktail parties: Five.
- Cruise Director: the very young Ricky Jermy.
- Assistant Cruise Director: the even younger Nancy Thaddeus.
- Host/ess: Sarah & Ivana.
- Cabin mate: Len Pye the former night porter at King's College Cambridge.
- Dance couple: Caroline Thurston & Adrian Forward.
- Other dance hosts: No.
- Lecturer(s): Sir Bernard Ingham & Hazel Griffiths.
- Comedian: Andy Rudge.
- Magician: Andrew Green.
- Musician(s): Pat Shannon, Rosario trio & Glen Padin.
- Singer(s): Justine Balmer & Rey Carinan.
- Cabin: 2023 - Outside twin.
- Passenger(s): Mike Rodwell FOCL MD and family, Elaine Balmer, Angela & Maisie.
- Good, free wi-fi: The main square in Oporto,
the Carlton Hotel in Bilbao and the park in St. Martin de Ré.