Cruise M1101 on the Braemar around Central America
(Please scroll down to see my photographs and report)
||Little England & Scotland!
||St. George's, Grenada
||Santa Marta, Colombia
||Cartagena de Indias, Colombia
||Beautiful Colonial City!
||Puerto Limón, Costa Rica
||Roatan Island, Honduras
||Belize City, Belize
||Another Colonial City.
||Cozumel Island, Mexico
||Montego Bay, Jamaica
N.B. (Recce) was my Photographic Reconnaisance for cruise M1106
when I will be a Port Lecturer NOT a Dance Host!
Geoff, Lyn, James & Martin
Here's my report on the cruise:
Just to let you know that I have just got back from my cruise
around Central America on the Braemar.
The cruise director wrote
"Martin Lee, Leslie James Wright, Geoffrey and Marilyn Dye –
Dance Hosts and Instructors:
They are a fine team who all get on well
and are always willing to help and assist the department.
Martin also did line dancing classes and also a lecture."
My first line dance class attracted over 60 people!
Good points were:
- Eating in the lovely triple aspect Palms Café for most meals.
- Eating in the Thistle Restaurant when speciality buffets took place in the Palms Café.
- First visits to :
- Santa Marta, Colombia
- Cartagena de Indias, Colombia
- Colón, Panama
- Puerto Limón, Costa Rica
- Roatan Island, Spanish Honduras
- Belize City, British Honduras
Bad points were:
- Too few dancing ladies.
- Heavy rain in Puerto Limón, Costa Rica.
For the record ...
- Food: Excellent, best in the fleet!
- Tours: Two, since I needed to do my photographic reconnaisance at the new ports ready for the same cruise (M1106) as a Port Lecturer NOT a Dance Host!
- Weather: Excellent.
- New ports: Six (see above).
- Sailaways: Several.
- Tea dance: One.
- Masonics: Hosted by my cabin mate James Wright.
- Service clubs: Hosted by my cabin mate James Wright.
- Dinner host: No.
- Line dancing: Yes, four classes.
- Sequence dancing: Some.
- Ballroom dancing: Lots.
- Western night: Yes, participation line dancing led my me.
- Tropical night: Yes, participation tropical dancing led by the lovely Jackie Probert.
- British (Red, White & Blue) night: Yes.
- Singles party: Yes.
- Singles lunch: No.
- Formal nights: Three.
- Cocktail parties: Five.
- Captain: Tom Hansen.
- Cruise Director: Allan Tait, until he was flown off to rescue the World Cruise on the Balmoral!
- Assistant Cruise Director: Jackie Probert promoted Acting Cruise Director when Allan had to leave early.
- Hostesses: Ivana Stanic and Abigail Greening.
- Hosts: Tom Grinstead and Elliot Taylor from BoMo.
- Cabin mate: James Wright from the Cotswolds.
- Dance couple: The lovely Lyn & Geoff Dye.
- Other dance hosts: No.
- Lecturer(s): The lovely Janis Leader (ports), Sir Arnold Wolfendale (former Astronomer Royal), Jane Matthews (crafts).
- Musician(s): Roy & Sonja (Melody Lane), Kevin & Cynthia O'Donnell (classical), Enrique Cabiluna (piano),
Hubert Greaves (steel drums), Rob B (troubador), 4th Dimension (pop) and the Rosario Trio (classical).
- Comedian(s): Andy Rudge from Wales.
- Singer(s): Geoff Taylor (swing) from Radio 2, Irie J (soul) and Ma. Lou from the Philippines.
- Cabin: 3002 inside twin.
- Passenger(s): Liz, Audrey, Margaret, Karen and John the 'Happy Dancer'!
- Good, free Wi-Fi:
- Sangster International Airport, Montego Bay.
- New Cruise Terminal, St. Georges.
- Starbucks, Cozumel Island.
- LIME Store, Bridgetown.