Cruise P2010 on the Saga Pearl II to Norway
(Please scroll down to see my photographs and read my report)
||Train to port
||Lysefjord boat trip
||Waterfalls & waffles
||Lots of snow!
||World War II walk
||Guns & bunkers
||Grip island boat trip
||Jostedals national park centre
||Giske & Godøy islands
||Two tunnels and one bridge!
||Flåm railway & superb smörgåsbord!
||Coach home via Victoria
Chris, Olive, Ron and me
Fishing boat "MARTIN" in Kristiansund harbour
Saga Pearl II in Eidfjord
Here's my report on the cruise:
Just to let you know that I have just got back from my cruise
to Norway on the newly re-fitted Saga Pearl II.
She's a lovely small ship with only about 400 passengers on board.
Good points were:
- Free internet!
- My own double cabin!
- Tour escort in every port!
- Three lovely rear teak decks.
- Red sea dress code on casual nights.
- Drinks allowance.
- Excellent programme of up to 3 lectures per sea day.
- Free launderette.
- Free fruit and water in cabin.
- Efficient cabin stewardess.
- Newly re-fitted contemporary interior:
- Lovely Verandah restaurant with large windows.
- Stunning library with Windows 7 widescreen computers.
- Useful board room equipped with 8 new laptops.
Usual sea day programme:
- 09:00 - 10:00 Ballroom & Latin American dance class.
- 10:00 - 10:45 Lecture.
- 11:15 - 12:00 Lecture.
- 12:00 - 12:45 Singles party or second dance class.
Usual evening programme:
- 18:15 - 19:00 Cocktail party or pre-dinner dancing.
- 19:00 - 21:00 Open seating dining in both waiter-served restaurants.
- 21:15 - 21:45 Pre-show dancing.
- 22:00 - 22:45 Show.
- 22:45 - 23:30 Post-show dancing.
For the record ...
- Food: Very good, lots of caviar, some beef but no cherries!
- Tours: In every port culminating in the famous Flåm railway!
- Weather: Sunshine every day but with cold winds and a heavy shower in Ålesund.
- Sailaways: Few.
- Tea dance: None.
- Masonics: Nope.
- Service clubs: No.
- Dinner host: No, open seating.
- Line dancing: None.
- Sequence dancing: One session hosted by Olive & Ron.
- Ballroom dancing: Few good dancing ladies.
- Western night: No.
- Tropical night: No.
- British (Red, White & Blue) night: No.
- Singles party: Yes.
- Singles lunch: No.
- Formal nights: Three - black, cream & red and black & red.
- Cocktail parties: Three.
- Captain: David Warden-Owen.
- Cruise Director: Tanya Whitehurst.
- Assistant Cruise Director: John Parton.
- Host/ess: Vicki Farquharson.
- Host: Fernando Perez.
- Cabin mate: None!
- Dance couple: Ron Penning and the lovely Olive Bailey from County Donegal.
- Other dance host: Chris Young from Upton in Dorset.
- Lecturer(s): Clifford Wrate and the lovely Jane Ann Davey.
- Musician(s): Elektra violin duo.
- Comedian(s): None.
- Singer(s): Annette Wardell soprano.
- Song of the cruise: The Piper by ABBA.
- Cabin: 305
- Passenger(s): Professor Sir Martin Evans (Stem cell Nobel Laureate) and Lady Evans.